Friday, 24 February 2012

50th Birthday Card

My goodness, I can't believe that my husband is 50 already. Where has the time gone?
Being the crafty person that I am, I just had to make him a card. I was dying to use the Washi Tapes that I have been given to play with by Sawyers Place. I think they look really cool on this card. Check it out below as well as step by step instructions and a products list.


The picture below shows what I started with.

The first thing I did was cut the white card stock at 6". Then turned it around and trimmed it to 8", and then scored at 4".  You end up with a card like this one below.


Next I made the base of the card. This was as simple as cutting the black card stock first to be slightly smaller than the white card front. Then each layer up from there was cut smaller again until I had the patterned paper on top. The layers from the bottom up are - black card stock, grey shimmer card stock, white card stock, and finally the patterned paper.
Then I cut a strip of white card stock to run the length of the patterned paper. This is where the fun creative bit started. I used the SP Washi Tape - Grey Airmail tape to create a large cross. This tape is so easy to use. It is tacky enough to stick and also not too tacky that you can't move it once it is down. This gave me the opportunity to get my cross just how I wanted it.

Next I added some bakers twine. This is currently my next favourite product at the moment after the SP Washi Tape. I simply taped it to the back and laid it down in the middle of each arm of the cross.
Now that this element of the card was completed I placed it onto the card. I don't stick down the elements straight away until I have it all ready to go. This gives me the flexibility to change anything if things don't look quite right.
 Next I cut another piece of white card stock to run the width of the grey patterned paper. On this I stamped a Happy Birthday sign. I stamped it to the left of the card stock as I wanted to put brads on the right.

Then it was time to put the brads in. Have you ever wondered how some people can get their brads lined up and others look wonky? The secret is measuring. For some people this is a foreign concept as they eye ball everything. And I used to be like that until I did a stint of scrapbook teaching. Suddenly  I needed to give the students the measurements of elements I had used. The pictures below show how easy it is to get straight brads.

Once the brads were in, I placed this onto the card as well. Now the only thing left was to put the 50 on the card. So I got out my Cricut and used the George and Basic Shapes cartridge to cut out the numbers. Then I tied them  to the bakers twine at the top of the cross.

Once I was happy with the design I stuck it all down. And the card was finished.
I hope you have got as much enjoyment from seeing how I made this as I did when making it.



Materials List
Bazzill black card stock
Bazzill white card stock
Bazzill Grey Shim card stock
Basic Grey Black Dress 6"x6" Paper Pad
Versa Colour Black ink pad
Inkadinkadoo Happy Birthday stamp
SP Washi Tape
Black & White Bakers Twine
Grey brads
Cricut & George and Basic Shapes Cartridge

No comments:

Post a Comment